Re: Zmailer shortcomings (re pop/imap clients)

In <92Dec17.104843eet.91413-5@nic.funet.fi> Matti Aarnio <mea@nic.funet.fi> writes:
|   I know of this behavior, although I haven't checked if it really is legal
| format or not.  On the other hand, both POPx and IMAPx -protocols are
| only half-way implementation of the thing.  There should be a protocol
| for bi-directional traffic between Message-Store/Message-Transport-Agent
| and Message-User-Agent.  Now POPx and IMAPx specify SMTP to be used
| for transmit...

  A side point to the discussion: POP is intended for a simple post office
pickup/delivery service, and it is by no means inconsistent with its design
to add the XTND XMIT verb and use it for a bidirectional channel. Some of
the other extensions (news service) seem harder to justify, but are
simple-minded enough that no-one actually gets angry when they're mentioned.

  IMAP, on the other hand, is by design a unidirectional service, with a
fair bit of complexity to allow a wide range of services.  The
author/specifier has good reason for not wanting to add a
comparable-complexity posting service!  And I respect his wishes, even
though I'd personally prefer that he invent that particular hairy beast
(:-)).

mshappe@harper-hall.cit.cornell.edu (Michael Scott Shappe) wrote
| > From: mshappe@harper-hall.cit.cornell.edu (By way of
| > 	nobody@nowhere.in.particular.ny.us)
| > This format is used by Eudora (a popular Mac POP client in wide use
| > here at Cornell) to denote some forms of forwarding. It's perfectly
| > legal 822, but Zmailer bounces it saying that it's not complete. It
| > ignores the continuation line entirely and wonders where the closing
| > paren is.

  This works fine at York: I suspect something is weird...  to misquote
matti,

| That has worked just fine for me for ages -- it is more of MUA->MTA
| interaction problem than anything else.  I had to hack seriously on
| elm 2.3 to get it right

I suspect some sort of weird characters: we ran Eudora and pop here for
some years and the messages were accepted by our zmailer-using hosts.
The machine running the pop service was running sendfail(8), though, and
may have rewritten them into sanskrit for all I know (:-))

--dave